Digit Online

• January 19Valentine's Day is Coming Up

Green Agriculture

Photo by Ava W.

Photo by Ava W.

Ava W. and Amy M.

rGreen agriculture is one of the new electives that has been added to Gorzycki Middle School this year. Students spend most of the time in the outdoor classroom, in the chicken coops, and in the garden. Brandi Young, green agriculture teacher, explains what inspired her to create the class.

“I think [what inspired me to start this class was] initially my love of chickens,” Young said. “When I brought them out here, I was still teaching history, but when I found out I could actually teach this class I got excited. I guess what really inspired me was my love of chickens.”

Students get to be around the chickens and the chicken coops while in the green agriculture class. Eighth grader Emma Dinwiddie explains what happens at the chicken coops.

“[At the chicken coops] We take care of the chickens and fill up their food and water,” Dinwiddie said. “We also get to hold the chickens.”

While in the green agriculture class, students also go on many field trips. Eighth grader Cecelia Lawrence describes where the class goes and what happens.

“On field trips we go to the sustainable food center,” Lawrence said. “We make our own salad and learn about the environment.” 

Green ag has many jobs that the students are in charge of. These jobs include getting the chicken eggs, feeding and giving the chickens water, growing plants, and tending to the garden. Eighth grader Eimear Harriman tells us her favorite job in agriculture.

“[My favorite job is] Probably feeding the chickens because you get to hold them,” Harriman said. [My least favorite job is] Probably looking at the plants you made and seeing if there are bugs on them.”

Agriculture has many aspects that students may enjoy while taking the class. Harriman describes her favorite part of the class.

“[My favorite part of agriculture is] probably hanging out with the chickens and being able to feed them,” Harriman said

Many students recommend green agriculture to others. Cecelia Lawrence explains why she would recommend this class to others.

“[I would recommend this class to others] If you want to learn more about nature, anything outdoorsy, and to learn more about chickens and animals,” Lawrence said. “Basically if you are outdoorsy.”