Digit Online

2018 Winter Olympics

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Winter Olympics

Shaun White (USA) winning his 3rd Olympic gold medal for the Men's Snowboarding Halfpipe. PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018.

Austin P. and Beck G.

The Winter Olympics is worldwide competition of extreme winter sports between top athletes from around the world. The best of the best from each country travels to the competition every 4 years to represent their nation. These athletes compete with each other in friendly competition to see who wins gold. These games bring the nations together as we celebrate each others victories and learn about each other’s cultures. This years games were held in PyeongChang, a province in South Korea. The games proximity to North Korea, and North Korea’s participation in the Olympics has raised some controversy with other countries including the U.S.A. which has had multiple conflicts with North Korea and their supreme leader, Kim Jong-Un. Seventh grader Jake Stachura explains his thoughts about North Korea’s participation in the games.

“I think it’s weird that a country that spends so much time in isolation and so much time hating the western world is participating in an event with their enemies including the United States,” Stachura said.  “But it is cool that they are starting to exit their shell and interact with other countries more.”

Many students have have enjoyed watching the Winter Olympics this year along with the 30 million who have viewed the Winter Olympics on TV. Eighth grader Jon Long explains what events he has watched the past couple weeks.

“I’ve watched snowboarding because it’s really cool,” Long said. “That one Asian girl is fire. She like landed a ton of cool stuff and almost got a perfect score. She was really fun to watch… it was very entertaining.”

Some students have not watched the Olympics at all. In fact, they believe that the Olympics are not worth watching. Eighth grader Ethan Ordaz explains why he does not watch the Winter Olympics.

“I like the Summer Olympics better,” Ordaz said. “I don’t like the Winter Olympics because it has a bunch of useless sports in it. Some people do watch the Winter Olympics because it’s like their sport but I don’t really care. People watch summer more often to be honest. There is not one winter sport I like. I would never participate in any winter sports.”

While Ordaz might hate winter sports, other GMS students love them. Eighth grader Carson Turner has been snowboarding since he was young. He expresses his love for the sport.

“I’ve been snowboarding since I was six,” Turner said. “I’m really good at it. I can do like 180s and all of that. I get a bunch of adrenaline [when I snowboard]. [one time] I got taken to the hospital because I got hurt. I slipped off the lip of a jump and I flung backward landing flat on my back. It hurt… I couldn’t breathe. It was scary too but it was fun because they put me in a little bed and skied me to the bottom of the hill.”