Digit Online

Electing the Electives

Jalen M. and Holden G.

Gorzycki is one of the few middle schools that gives students the opportunity to choose which classes they want to take. In elementary school students had to go to set “specials” and never had the choice of what classes they wanted to take. The students at Gorzycki enjoy the freedom they to have choices and to be able to learn more in a diverse course of electives. Seventh grader Dylan Zellner describes why it’s good that Gorzycki has electives.

“I think it’s good that Gorzycki has electives because people can actually do what they want, and not just do Math and Social Studies and all of the other electives,” Zellner said.

Even though there are many electives at Gorzycki, some students have ideas for new electives that can make Gorzycki a more interesting place than it already is. Seventh grader Blaze Foster talks about his idea for an elective.

“I think a good idea for an elective to have at Gorzycki would be Website Development,” Foster said. “Kids shouldn’t have to pay for it.”

Some think that the choice of electives helps prepare for high school and college, since a student would choose all of their classes in high school and college. Eighth grader Hannah DaSilva explains her stance on the preparation for higher grades.

“In middle school, you aren’t really sure what you’re going to be when you grow up and in middle school you get more choices like ‘Let’s try this’ so you can decide for college,” said DaSilva.

At Gorzycki, the core classes are the foundation of learning although the electives may teach students something they won’t learn in their core classes. Eighth grader Nathan Martin clarifies his opinion on which classes he learns more in.

“Obviously I learn more things in my core classes because there are more of them than electives and they also teach you things you need to know for your core classes,” Martin said.