Digit Online

EGGstatic About Baby Chicks

Mia L. and Morgan W.

Gorzycki’s green agriculture class, taught by Mrs.Young, recently got six baby chicks. Their names are Dixie, Nugget, Stormie, Coco, Mango, and Felipe. Mrs. Young tells us what it was like to see the baby chicks hatch.

“This happens everytime I see baby chicks hatch, it is like a miracle,” Young said. “It is so exciting to watch.”

The baby chicks became apart of the Green Agriculture family about a month ago, and students have already begun to form strong bonds with them. Seventh grader Lainey Killian explains how she felt when she first saw the baby chicks.

“The first time I saw the baby chicks I was super excited because I never got to experience something like seeing that we had hatched two adorable new baby chicks,” Killian said. “And even more were brought and now we have so many and they are all super cute.”

Although students love the baby chicks, there are some difficult things that come with raising them. Seventh grader Carey Wooley describes some of the struggles she went through while taking care of the chicks.

“I had them over spring break and they were a lot of work,” Wooley said. “Like cleaning the cage, filling all their water, and they did not smell particularly good.”

Students have learned a lot from raising chicks, like how to take care of them. Lainey Killian explains what she has learned from taking care of the chicks.

“I learned that chickens aren’t just birds,” Killian said. “They kinda have emotions and personalities it’s really cool.”

Mrs. Young previously raised chickens at Gorzycki before. Mrs. Young explains why she wanted to get some more.

“I wanted to hatch baby chicks because chickens are awesome,” Young said  “they give us food, and are really fun to work with.”

There are many things students love about the chicks, from their cute looks, to their crazy personalities. Lainey Killian tells us her favorite part about the baby chicks.

“My favorite part is just seeing them grow,” Killian said “because they started barely bigger than the palm of my hand, and now they are huge.”

Even though it is hard work to take care of the chicks, students still enjoy being with them. Carey Wooley explains why she wishes to be with chicks more.

“I would enjoy to have them more than just in green ag class,” said Wooley. “They are really sweet and really fun to be with.”