Digit Online

How To Survive Middle School

Austin P. and Beck G.

Finding your way through the twists and turns of middle school can be a tough and frightening experience for many students at GMS. As students progress through their time at Gorzycki Middle school they have to balance many different things like homework, social life, and school sports. Middle school is also where many kids are introduced to more mature ideas and ways of life. It’s definitely tricky but many older students have figured it out. Lucky for you these experienced students have decided to share with us the do’s and don’ts of middle school. Eighth grader Carson Turner explains the teachers and social differences in grade levels.

“The older you get the cooler you are.” Turner said. “6th grade was way harder than 8th grade. As you get into higher grade levels the teachers become more relaxed and chill. 6th grade teachers were strict but these [8th grade] teachers are chill. As you progress you understand more about life and you get more street cred. Your friends mostly stick with you but some leave. It’s fine though because more people are chill in 8th grade.”

While these differences in between grade levels are important and definitely noticeable, they aren’t the only changes middle schoolers will experience. Eighth grader Ray Arriaga explains the different levels of work you are expected to complete in each grade.

“Sixth graders have almost no homework.” Arriaga said. “Seventh grade I had to do a lot more like a long worksheet every day. Eighth grade isn’t really that bad. We have to do a lot more [work] than 6th grade but a little less than what we did in seventh grade.”

The workload in seventh grade may be tough and seem impossible at times, but eventually you get through it. After the drag of sixth and seventh grade students are relieved to reach the best year of middle school by far. Eighth grader Carson Turner explains why eighth grade is the best.

“8th grade was the best because everyone is excited to leave [middle school] you know.” Turner said. “8th graders are happy because [in eighth grade] you have made it through middle school and you don’t have to worry about all the annoyingness of some younger kids.”

It may seem that middle school is an impossible world to get through at the time, but trust that you will make it out alive. Looking back you will realize that middle school wasn’t as bad as you might think. As long as you study and ignore all the immature hate that may appear at times you will make it. Make sure not to worry too much, just sit back and enjoy yourself as you grow and make memories that will last a lifetime.